Thursday, February 8, 2024

“Pickleball infrastructure?”

[“Wrap Battle.” Zippy, February 8, 2024. Click for a larger view.]

I heard the phrase “pickleball infrastructure” while listening to NPR in December and immediately thought of it as an “over and over,” the kind of thing Zippy might like to repeat. I sent the phrase to Bill Griffith. He liked it, and here it is in today’s Zippy. I’m thrilled. Please click through to the strip and notice what’s in the third panel.

Bill put a name to such repetition in a recent strip: palilogia, also known as epizeuxis. Think of King Lear’s agonized “Never, never, never, never, never.” Or Steve Ballmer’s mildly insane “Developers, developers, developers, developers.” Or Zippy’s carefree “Pickleball infrastructure! Pickleball infrastructure! Pickleball infrastructure!”

Related reading
All OCA Zippy posts (Pinboard)

comments: 13

joecab said...

Wow congrats! Are you going to buy the original? I bought the 11-13-04 strip many years ago.

Anonymous said...

fantastic

Stefan said...

So completely awesome! If it makes me this happy, I can only guess what it does for you. Just wonderful.

Michael Leddy said...

@joecab: Thanks for the congrats. Yes, I’m getting the black-and-white version. I’m going to look up 11.13.04.

@Anon. and @Stefan: Thanks for the congrats. Yes, it makes me happy. I hope NPR doesn’t demand credit.

Michael Leddy said...

@joecab: Wow, I think he out-Crumbs Crumb in that one.

ksh said...

Congratulations. What a feather in your cap.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Kevin.

Joe DiBiase said...

As an avid pickleball player, I particularly like this. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Joe!

Fresca said...

Woo-hoo, that’s fan-tastic!!! You have not lived in vain! That is just really so cool.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Fresca. If I had a bucket list, being in Zippy would be on it.

Fresca said...

Oh, and I hadn’t even looked closely at the 3rd panel yet—there YOU are!!!!
You rock some.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, the old “tip of the hat.”