Monday, February 19, 2024

Dream data

This phrase showed up in a dream: “epistemic data.” I have invented two possible meanings.

One: that which we know. Example: The alphabet.

Two: that which may lead to knowledge. In other words, a clue. Examples: Ketchup splattered on the wall, a broken plate on the floor.

Though we can already guess who threw the plate.

More words from dreams
Alecry : Fequid : Misinflame : Skeptiphobia : Winching

[A Google search reveals that “epistemic data” has currency outside the dream world. I’m sticking with homemade definitions.]

comments: 8

Richard Abbott said...

Funnily enough the first thing that came to mind when I read this was that it might have been a covid reference - epidemic and pandemic spring to mind from epistemic. But that's probably my subconscious rather than yours!

Michael Leddy said...

I hadn’t thought of that, but it could be my subconscious as well as yours — after dodging Covid for almost four years, I’m recovering from it right now. (With help from Paxlovid.) I thought this phrase might have something to do with watching Columbo and thinking about how clues get planted via close-ups of objects. But now I recall unpacking the enormous page packaged with the meds and trying to make sense of all the science on it.

Thanks for that interpretation!

Fresca said...

Epistemic data, epistemic data, epistemic data.
😊

Fresca said...

PS. I read the first comments after I’d already posted mine – – I’m sorry to see you have Covid! Weirdly I haven’t gotten it yet – – perhaps at my new job where I’ll be exposed to all new germ carriers (that is, students).
I hope you are recovering well!

Michael Leddy said...

That would be a good “over and over.” I guess it came too late, or too early.

Yes, Elaine and I (yeah, she too) are recovering well. She tested positive a few days before me. We each got a prescription for Paxlovid right away. It’s hugely helpful, though it has its side-effects. The one I most notice is that it makes coffee taste like garbage. I mean that just about literally.

Michael Leddy said...

So for a while, it’s going to be tea all the time.

Joe DiBiase said...

Feel better soon! Elaine too.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Joe.