Thursday, June 1, 2023

A minority report on Succession

Bill Wyman (not of the Stones), writing about Succession:

From the start, this was a bad show, and a misconceived one. In a world of peak TV and oceans of post-Sopranos high-end work from around the world, this was an endeavor made by people not quite clear on the concept. There were no adults in the room. Succession was very much like what you would get if the Roy children themselves tried to do a grown-up HBO series.
I’m not enamored of this series. Wyman is far more critical than I am.

comments: 3

Chris said...

My wife and I watched most or all of the first episode and were not impressed. Not long after that we started watching the Korean series Crash Landing On You, and my immediate superficial reaction was "Oh, it's a Korean Succession." I couldn't have been more wrong. Except for some violence I could have done without it was a treat. If you have access to such things I recommend it.

Another great Korean series: Because It's My First Life.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Chris. The first is Netflix only. We don’t have Netflix now, but if we add it, I’ll look. The second seems to be available for free on a Roku channel — I’ll have to look into it.

Here’s one for you: another friend recommended the Korean series Extraordinary Attorney Woo. also Netflix-only.

Chris said...

Yes, we enjoyed Extraordinary Attorney Woo. The plotting was a bit silly but the lead character was fun to watch.