Saturday, June 10, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

In the word of 53-A, five letters, “Peanuts plaint”: ______! Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Lester Ruff, or Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor, composing under the pseudonym that signals an easier Stumper. The puzzle is fairly easy, but I hit a snag in the upper left corner: 17-A, six letters, “Physician’s patron.” All I could think of was HERMES, which is not a good answer, but ASCLEPIUS didn’t fit. So I searched for “Physician’s patron,” and magically, that corner fell into place, becoming as straightforward as I think it was meant to be.

Some more clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, six letters, “Whom Alda got his M*A*S*H nickname from.” Lifelong learning.

12-D, eight letters, “Monitored?” Clever.

16-A, eight letters, “Successor to LAN technologies.” What once sounded like the future now sounds like science-fiction of the past.

22-A, three letters, “Not following.” Befitting a Stumper.

24-D, five letters, “Changes to one’s story.” Not LIES.

25-D, four letters, “Viva Rock Vegas character.” An idiosyncratically specific way to clue this name.

35-A, fifteen letters, “Nothing I can do.” Just a nice bit of colloquial speech.

36-D, eight letters, “It achieved statehood in 1901.” Statehood, eh? NEWMEXI? — oops, no.

48-A, six letters, “811, to librarians.” Or to readers who know the stacks.

My favorite in this puzzle: 46-D, six letters, “Cat without a coat.” More lifelong learning.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

AAUGH. STLUKE. BUMPPO. (Hawkeye is one of Natty Bumppo’s nicknames.)

ONSCREEN. ETHERNET. PRE. EDITS. DINO.

ITSOUTOFMYHANDS. TASMANIA.

POETRY. SPHYNX. (Sphinx and sphynx are different words with different meanings.)

shallnot said...

“Whom Alda got his M*A*S*H nickname from.”

That’s a bit awkward isn’t? Perhaps a future writing improvement post?

“Alda got his M*A*S*H nickname from. whom?” Not quite right as the character pre-dates Alan Alda (and Donald Sutherland for that matter).

Michael Leddy said...

It is awkward, and “correct.” When I saw your comment, I thought, Uh-oh, did I turn it into who? That sounds much more idiomatic to me, and I could imagine myself typing and changing the whom without realizing it. As it is, I copied and pasted without noticing. I think this kind of whom is nearing extinction.

The clue could be revised into “Source of M*A*S*H character’s nickname” (instead of Alda’s nickname). Or “The original ‘Hawkeye.’” How’s that?

shallnot said...

For complete misdirection: "Whom Benjamin Franklin got his nickname 'Hawkeye' from".

i.e. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce

Michael Leddy said...

Woah! I’ve watched the show now and then, but I didn’t know the character’s full name. That clue would’ve stumped me.