Friday, June 16, 2023

Analog trends

The Washington Post reports on six analog trends: print books, film cameras, letters and postcards, pens and stationery, vinyl, and “collecting” (e.g., matchbooks).

[That’s a gift link.]

comments: 9

J D Lowe said...

Thanks for the link! The only one I wouldn't return to is film photography. Developing my photos was probably more toxic than I thought, and missing or mangling pictures because I ran out of film was not fun.

Michael Leddy said...

I once had a sweet little Olympus, the first birthday present I got from my not-yet-wife. But I have no nostalgia for dropping off film and tossing the duds. I can imagine the appeal of a simple camera though for a younger person who’s known only phones.

Joe DiBiase said...

My younger daughter has a 35mm film camera, which she uses for extra special photos. She likes the fact that, once the shutter is released, there's not much that can be done to improve the picture. As a result, and partly because of the cost of each picture in film and developing costs, she's very judicious about the pictures she takes on film. She also has a 35mm digital and her phone for everyday pictures.

Michael Leddy said...

I like that mindful (to use a vogue word) approach.

A friend of my daughter has (had?) a camera that took tiny Polaroids. And I know much younger people who are fascinated by the idea of a camera with film in it.

Elaine said...

I loved this article, and not just because of our hugecollection of vinyl (and 78's and other musical antiques.) I have been reading Robert Caro's massive books, but after the first LBJ volume--which I had to read at the DR table due to its weight--I bought paperbacks and sliced them into portable chunks.
I have a collection the resides only inmy memories: Carnegie libraries. No two are alike. My favorit is is Eureka Springs, AR--a delightful and cozy haven. The San Luis Obispo library is a wee jewelbox of a place, now a visitors' center that was closed on Monday when we were there. I had to peer through windows and view through a glass darkly.....

Film camera....I still haveit but don't use it.

Michael Leddy said...

Our town has a Carnegie and I’ve have seen any number of others — yes, all different. (I didn’t know what a Carnegie library was before moving to Illinois.)

I admire your dedication to Caro’s LBJ. I borrowed The Power Broker from the library, but I haven’t yet opened it.

Michael Leddy said...

Oops — I’ve seen, &c.

Elaine said...

I have _The Power Broker_ and as always with Caro, the first page grabs you. I am finishing other books first, though, as this is mmassive I have not yet chopped it up. I am very eager forthe final book; Caro is 85 and counting. ...it would be crushing if he was unable to complete The Years.

If you read up on the Carnegie libraries, you will learn about the application process (one reason that each is unique, BTW)...it's rather wonderful. My first one was in Ft Smith AR--a 'temple' of sorts. In a recent decade, my elder sister went back and found a newer library had been constructed....not sure what the orginal is used for now... The children's book room had huge floor to ceiling windows and low shelves (not too high for youngsters to reach all the books.) By the time we left I had graduated to the next tier (I forget what the age grouping was termed), having exhausted the supply of Bobbs-Merrill biographies and all the folk tales and such....

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve read about the application process, and I love the idea of a community getting together to push for a library. One surprising thing about the town I live in: some years ago a referendum to raise property taxes to support library expansion passed, so we now have a much larger and spiffier Carnegie library. I still have nostalgia for the older one — playing in the children’s section with my kids, stopping in for the water fountain when riding bikes, going to outdoor puppet shows (on a lawn where there’s now more of the library building).