Sunday, March 26, 2023

Succession, sheesh

“I thought it might be time for you and I to move on.”

All OCA sheesh posts (Pinboard)

[The Times calls this first episode “lively and highly entertaining.” I found it a snorefest. Watch people make calls to negotiate a deal — fun!]

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Off topic: Best English prose writers and their recommended books? (Based on the sheer volume of posts on Swann’s Way, I’m guessing that Proust, with a good translator like Lydia Davis, is at the top of your list.)

I’m looking for someone whose writing is crystal clear, who uses figurative language creatively, and who knows how to tell a good story.

And yes, I know that any list is purely subjective. I’m just looking for some novel (no pun intended) suggestions.

Michael Leddy said...

Proust (in the Penguin translation) has been the greatest reading experience of my life. For fiction in English, I’ll suggest six writers: James Baldwin, Willa Cather, Steven Millhauser, Toni Morrison, Vladimir Nabokov, J.D. Salinger. For Millhauser, I’d suggest starting with short stories (that’s his suggestion too). For Nabokov, Pnin. Happy reading!