Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Expectations

The BBC program Desert Island Discs has some of the best interviews I’ve heard. Here, Michael Parkinson interviews Maya Angelou (August 2, 1987). I can’t imagine that this exchange was rehearsed:

I want to ask you a question that might sound silly, but it’s serious actually. Have you ever wished you were six foot, white, and male?

No, God no. [Laughs.] I wouldn’t want all that, oh my God, all those unfortunate, unachievable expectations. My expectations are just beyond my reach, and they have to do with me, not with the world. I hope to become a better human being, a kinder, wiser, funnier, more courageous human being, for me. I think a number of white males have the expectation of making other people conform for them. My fantasy is to be six foot tall, Black, female, American, a writer, successful, who laughs a lot and drinks just enough Dewar’s White Label Scotch and a little white wine [laughs] and goes to church on Sunday and really means it.

And loves her mother.

Yes, and who loves her mother.
Two other Angelou-related posts
Our state rep refers to “Mayor Angelo” : A tribute in dubious taste

[Context: Maya Angelou was six feet tall.]

comments: 1

shallnot said...

Funny, I’ve always regarded height measurements to be exempt from feet pluralization. So, to me, Maya Angelou being 6-foot tall makes more sense. I always quote my height as “at least 6-foot two”.

It also allows for lyric rhymes as: Five-foot two....