Saturday, March 4, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by S.N., Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor. Too much dated trivia for my taste: e.g., 5-D, six letters, “2009 Forbes Celebrity 100 novelist” and 25-A, seven letters, “It’s sung about in ‘Happy Morning’ ads (c. 2006).” The highlight: two wonderfully unexpected twelve-letter answers.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

6-A, five letters, “Early influence on Asimov.” Think of a writer and you’d be wrong.

14-A, five letters, “Select.” Select your part of speech.

18-A, nine letters, “Selection from Seagram’s.” I think that’s a bit of misdirection.

21-D, four letters, “Surname akin to Russo.“ Huh.

24-D, seven letters, “Basis of comparison re primary school success.” Never heard of it.

37-D, eight letters, “First ones in the fight” Trace Adkins tune. I tried REDNECKS. Oops. Woe is I.

41-D, seven letters, “Bon Appétit’s ‘invention that redefined baking.’” We were just talking about it, though not about the magazine.

42-D, four letters, “Much, much more than a wink.” I thought it had to be LEER.

44-D, six letters and 51-D, five letters, “Title character of 19th-century French lit.” A bit tricky.

55-A, nine letters, “Height of a media mogul’s ambition.” Clever.

One quibble: 34-A, five letters, “Telenovela 39 Down.” I think there’s another word that would be far more typical.

My (obvious) favorites in this puzzle: 30—A, twelve letters, “Many Peruvians’ ancestry” and 40-A, twelve letters, “Extraordinarily bright.” Bright indeed. Brilliant even.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

MEYER. (Stephanie.) FOLGERS. PULPS. ELITE. GINGERALE. REID. AGEMATE.

SEMPERFI. CAKEMIX. EONS. BOVARY. ATHOS (A count.) SANSIMEON.

ASTRO. 39-D is STAR. I’m pretty certain that the usual word in Spanish is estrella. The Google Ngram Viewe backs me up: estrella de cine far outnumbers astro de cine.

INCANDESCENT. INCANDESCENT.

Michael Leddy said...

A clarification: the clue for 39-D is “One in the lead.” That kind of star.

joecab said...

WHo knew a repeated entry could be so enjoyable? It reminds me of the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament finals whjere 3 different groups of finalists solve a puzzle with the exact same fill but the clues are hard for the C group, harder for the Bs, and hardest for the As. It's all in how you clue it, baby.

Michael Leddy said...

So neat. The second INCANDESCENT was my first answer, and when I hit the second, much later, I thought, Didn’t I already fill that in?