Monday, March 20, 2023

It really can

I’m surprised to see that I’ve never made mentioned of this recording (which won’t embed): it’s a Betty Carter interpretation of “Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most” (Fran Landesman-Tommy Wolf). Recorded in 1964, with Harold Mabern Jr., piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Roy McCurdy, drums.

I played this recording once for a class. I’m not sure what the context was — spring? Sappho’s sense of eros as glukupikron (sweetbitter)? What I am sure about: that class was struck silent. Serious stuff. Music of the Grownups.

comments: 4

J D Lowe said...

Thanks for the link! I first heard the song on the Holly Cole Trio's Girl Talk CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYueoZbYk6A&list=OLAK5uy_nI98K8GSNDJenz_0HEeI-4TULMcFFJfFI&index=5

Michael Leddy said...

Now there are two. I’ll add Blossom Dearie’s recording, which has the great verse.

Tom said...

What a deserving obscure song to post, one of my favorites! Nice as that is, this is her singing it in a way that makes more emotional sense to me. Less, umm, decorated? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgGBuxb4KI

Michael Leddy said...

I like that one too. And that’s a great album. I chose the one I shared with students. Realism. : )