Friday, June 26, 2020

Small things


Charlotte Brontë, Shirley (1849).

I stepped away from Shirley, but I had to save this lovely sentence.

Small things today: walking, reading, take-out because it’s Friday. I take none of these small things for granted.

*

I just discovered the source, Zechariah 4:10: “For who has despised the day of small things?” (KJV).

Also from Charlotte Brontë
A word : Three words : Jane Eyre, descriptivist : Bumps on the head : “In all quarters of the sky”

comments: 5

Frex said...

The Day of Small Things!
That's wonderful!

I was going to say it'd make a great title then remembered The God of Small Things. Not the same, but too close.
(I enjoy these ponderings about things such as choosing book titles that I will never do anyway.)

Michael Leddy said...

I remembered that title.

I fear that The Day of Small Things could be the title of a terrible book of poetry. I hope not!

Fresca said...

By Rod McKuen possibly?
“listen to the small things”

J D Lowe said...

As a person who enjoys building scale models, a book called The Day of Small Things might be an account of a particularly good day of model building :-)

Michael Leddy said...

There are at least three novels with (more or less) this title at Amazon. At this point I think we’ve gotta turn it over to a model maker. :)