Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Goodbye to Aunt Jemima

From NBC News:

The Aunt Jemima brand of syrup and pancake mix will get a new name and image, Quaker Oats announced Wednesday, saying the company recognizes that “Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype.”
How did they ever figure it out?

One of the oddest things I can say about myself: I’m distantly related to another (non-Quaker) Aunt Jemima: Tess Gardella, an Italian-American singer who performed in blackface as “Aunt Jemima.” She originated the role of Queenie in Show Boat.

comments: 4

misterbagman said...

Maybe do Cream of Wheat, too, while we're at it? The model on the boxes is an actual chef, Frank White, but it replicates the minstrel character Rastus who was the brand's mascot for 30 years or so.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastus

Michael Leddy said...

I can imagine a short story with Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, and Rastus, all newly (finally!) retired: “I tried to tell ’em — for years I tried.”

John Widdicombe said...

My first paid gig was with the singer, Edith Wilson. She had been the voice of Aunt Jemimah on the radio. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211149028514359&set=a.1053874639894&type=3

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for sharing that here. For anyone who doesn’t recognize the name Edith Wilson, a Wikipedia article will suggest how much musical history goes with it.