Sunday, June 14, 2020

In a parallel universe

“Sir, I’m guessing that you’ve had to much too drink, and if that’s the case, I’m glad that I found you asleep here and not on the road. Tell you what we can do, if you like: I can drive you home in my car. And if you’re willing to give me your keys, my partner can drive your car home for you, and we’ll make sure that you get there safely, because this is really no place to be sleeping, and I’m sure you’d agree with me about that. And in the future, please do not get behind the wheel if you’ve had too much to drink.” And so on.

If only.

*

When I wrote this post, I didn’t know that Rayshard Brooks had proposed to police that he lock up his car and walk to his sister’s house.

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Yes but then it's not a crime. Then the crime statistics stay low. Then when a budget increase is desired how can it be justified with such a low crime rate?

Michael Leddy said...

Which is why my little story takes place in a parallel universe.