Thursday, July 25, 2019

Hi and Lois negation watch


[Hi and Lois, July 25, 2019. Click for a larger view.]

Let’s overthink it a little, long enough to realize that Ditto’s “did” really means that he did not take the sunscreen:

“I told you not to drive without your license.”

“I did [drive without a license].”
So in the second panel, Ditto has to reply “I didn’t. I just forgot,” &c., which would turn today’s strip into a mess of negations: “I didn’t [not go out without sunscreen].” The problem can be avoided by assigning Lois a new line to read:


[Hi and Lois revised, July 25, 2019. Click for a larger view.]

Am I really overthinking it? I don’t think so. I think of Ernie Bushmiller laboring over every word.

Related reading
All OCA Hi and Lois posts (Pinboard)

comments: 8

Geo-B said...

But, "I told you not to go out without sunscreen" would be appropriate if Ditto were just going outside, playing in the yard. I don't think someone would say "I told you to take the sunscreen with you" unless Ditto were going on a trip or an excursion or a hike.

Michael Leddy said...

I suppose I assumed he was going somewhere. But now I’m utterly confused, because if he didn’t take the sunscreen with him, what is he saying he did when he says “I did”? I did go out? I thought the idea was that he took it with him. If you were playing outside, you could put on sunscreen in the house, no? You wouldn’t have to take it with you.

Elaine said...

Overthinking? I think not....my cursory read did not cause me to go, "Wait! What?" but your post made me go back and think, "Yeah. This does not make sense when you interpret carefully....because you have nothing else to do with your time. And need a hobby. Possibly two hobbies. And a cat.

(Just messin' with ya.)

Michael Leddy said...

Close reading the comics is already a hobby. :)

Slywy said...

I didn't need to overthink about the "I did." Things that make you go "huh." But . . . the "take it with you." He's wearing swim trunks, so unless the Flagstons have their own pool, he must have gone to a community pool ("take it with you" would make sense then because he'd have to put it on before and after swimming). So is it walkable for a kid his age? Did Hi take him? Then why didn't Hi make sure he put it on? If Hi didn't take him, did he go by himself? Does anyone let kids that young go anywhere by themselves or even in pairs?

Of course if you make it "I told you to put on sunscreen" and "I forgot," then it's lame(r).

But now, based on current thinking, he's doomed to skin cancer as a result of forgetting. Good grief. Oh, wait, different strip.

Isn't it interesting how even a simple exchange benefits from an editor and/or proofreader?

Michael Leddy said...

Dot and Ditto and Lois did did go to a pool recently. Another recent strip had Lois telling a friend about “free-range parenting.” Maybe Ditto was going to a friend’s house by himself.

“Isn't it interesting how even a simple exchange benefits from an editor and/or proofreader?” And how.

The Arthurian said...

"Let’s overthink it a little, long enough to realize that Ditto’s “did” really means that he did not take the sunscreen..."

I absolutely agree with your evaluation. But I couldn't respond until I found the example that came to [my] mind while I was reading your post.

In Bosch, season 1 episode 3, Detective Edgar wants to borrow photographs of a long-missing boy from the boy's sister.
"You mind if we take these?" Edgar asks.
"Uh, yeah, if you bring them back," the sister replies.

Yeah, she minds. The affirmative answer to the "do you mind" question occurs at least three times in the Bosch series. And [at least once] in lots of other places.

I'd say "I don't mind." But I do.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a great and weird example. I guess “Do you mind” means “Is it okay,” and “Yeah” means “Sure, take them.” Maybe there’s an idiosyncratic writer at work.