Monday, August 21, 2017

FOR SALE

Artisanal eclipse viewers. We start with the finest cereal boxes — Cascadian Farms Granola or Post Grape-Nuts, your choice. Inside, a viewing surface made from a generous double-thick layer of Strathmore Ultimate White Wove 24 lb. writing paper, hand-cut to each box’s shape and size. On top, a sturdy square of Reynolds Wrap with custom-drilled pinhole, locked down with Scotch Brand packing tape. A second square, hand-cut, serves as viewfinder. Durable, lightweight. Slightly used.

Shipping not included.

[Well outside the path of totality, I found this eclipse to be No Great Shakes. Cue Miss Peggy Lee.]

comments: 9

The Crow said...

I hesitate to buy without a photo so I can see before I spend. Is it sturdy enough to make it 2024 for the next total eclipse across the States?

Michael Leddy said...

Uh-oh. The boxes are already broken down and in the recycling bin. But I saved the Strathmore for scrap paper.

Frex said...

Oh, no! I was going to place a bid!!!
Imagine, me & Crow in a bidding war... :)
--Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

I’m laughing, and It feels good to laugh. :)

Elaine said...

I just did the old pinhole in the postcard bit....we are in the 89% zone, and that was plenty .... not our first big one....

Pete said...

For sale: eclipse glasses, barely used.

Michael Leddy said...

@Elaine: I remember one in the 1990s at least as dramatic as what we had yesterday (which was not much). And thanks for the reply about the starry quilt.

@Pete: The baby shoes ran through my mind when I wrote “slightly used.” Earlier I had something about left-handed models, but that would have been false advertising.

The Crow said...

Wasn't 'baby shoes' Hemingway's shortest, yet possibly most poignant, story?

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, or an example of how to make a story.