Friday, February 17, 2017

“Past events”


George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949).

See also yesterday’s press conference.

Related reading
All OCA George Orwell posts (Pinboard)

comments: 3

The Crow said...

In 1967, I worked as a cashier for Waterbury Drugstore, at the corner of Camp and Canal in New Orleans. I also worked with the pharmacist, taking orders for refills and logging in prescriptions for narcotics and other controlled meds when he was busy.

A customer brought in an order for Soma, a muscle-relaxer with a pain-blocking agent, which has mood-altering side-effects in some people. I had recently read "1984," and was chuckling when I handed the prescription to the druggist. I told him about the connection I'd made to the novel.

"You do know the name of the man who owns this store, don't you?"

I didn't.

"His name is Ford."

(The pharmacist later said I was uncharacteristically quiet for the rest of my shift.)

Michael Leddy said...

Yikes! It’s like living the novel. (I know you’re thinking of Brave New World.)

The Crow said...

Yep, she says, face chagrin-red. That is a shade somewhere between blushing-pink and cardiac-arrest-maroon. :}

Working in that drugstore was frequently like what I imagine it might be like to visit the nexus of the continuum. I had the 10pm-6am shift. The night people in downtown New Orleans were (still are?) weird creatures from another dimension than those I knew about.

(Thank you for your gentle correction.)