Friday, September 16, 2016

Fritzi’s whom


[Nancy , September 16, 1949.]

You’re right, Fritzi Ritz: whom . Today’s yesterday’s Nancy teaches us that there is no conflict between good usage and good cartooning.

Related reading
All OCA Nancy posts (Pinboard)

[This post is tongue-in-cheek: I’d say who . Wouldn’t you?]

comments: 6

The Crow said...

Half the time I probably would say 'to whom were you speaking', though I would say 'who was that on the phone?'

Always liked Aunt Fritzi.

Michael Leddy said...

“Who was that on the phone?” is pretty usual in our house. Too often it’s Rachel-from-cardholder-services or some other fake. You can’t tell from this panel, but Nancy really was talking to nobody (practicing for a party).

Frex said...

Yeah, "who called?"
I don't think I (ever?) use "whom" in speech, only in writing (sometimes).

brownstudy said...

Knock knock.
Who's there?
To.
To who?
To whom.

Michael Leddy said...

I love that!

brownstudy said...

Glad you liked it! I heard that on a podcast recently and everyone I tell it to loves it. Such a simple twist on that old chestnut, I'm surprised I hadn't heard it when I was a kid.