Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Cargo-shorts debate

How did I miss this story?

Relationships around the country are being tested by cargo shorts, loosely cut shorts with large pockets sewn onto the sides. Men who love them say they’re comfortable and practical for summer. Detractors​ say they’ve been out of style for years, deriding them as bulky, uncool and just flat-out ugly. In recent days, the debate has engulfed the nation.
Perhaps you missed it, too: “Nice Cargo Shorts! You’re Sleeping on the Sofa” (The Wall Street Journal). The subhead is a thing of beauty: “Fans of the roomy summer staple meet pockets of resistance.”

Personally (and I once knew a student who prefaced every statement with that word), I find cargo shorts exceedingly practical. How else am I supposed to carry a phone, a wallet, keys, and a pack of Kleenex? A thing of practicality is a joy forever.

*

4:30 p.m.: Finally got the link to work.

comments: 6

Frex said...

A friend just posted a photo on FB of her and her husband wearing matching cargo shorts---she said it was the key to their happy relationship!
Oh, the things I'll miss not being on FB anymore... (worth it).

Michael Leddy said...

Ha!

Elaine said...

The DHubby is a fan of cargo shorts (Wranglers) and also cargo pants (Wrangler.) He has a black pair for dress-up occasions. (Just kidding; he does have one pair of slacks that still fit and which are more presentable.) The hard part is figuring out where the car keys are because there are so many pockets.....

Michael Leddy said...

Does he have the Wranglers with the special tech pocket (to hold a phone)? I bought two pairs this summer. Even more storage!

brownstudy said...

Back in the '90s, I think, I wore a fanny pack to hold all the clutter I needed to carry (pens! member cards! my Psion 3c!). I wore it in the front, so one of our friends dubbed it my merkin.

I don't have cargo shorts, but I got some hiking pants a few years ago with zip-off legs and multiple pockets. Because I usually wear them when we are traveling, I called them my "adventure pants."

I really must stop posting embarrassing personal information like this to blog sites.

Michael Leddy said...

Your secrets are safe here. :)