Friday, May 17, 2019

Small fish, good

They are cheap, widely available, very healthy, low in contaminants, and sustainable. Modern Farmer explains: “Why We Should All Eat More Small Fish.”

Related reading
All OCA sardine posts (Pinboard)

comments: 5

Chris said...

I just bought a package of peppered smoked herring because it looked appealing. My first experiment with it was not a success. I basically just put a slab of it on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, and the whole thing went down like a stone. I still had half a package to use up so a day or two later I minced it up like tuna fish and mixed it with sour cream, grain mustard, and capers, and again put it on a bagel. It was surprisingly tolerable that way.

Michael Leddy said...

I wonder if packing oil might’ve messed with the cream cheese. The only fish I know with cream cheese is smoked salmon.

Chris said...

Sorry, my mistake; I meant mackerel, not herring. Not packed in a can, so no oil.

Slywy said...

And for some of us completely inedible. :)

Michael Leddy said...

As Austin Kleon would say (about anything he likes that someone else doesn’t like), “More for me!”