Tuesday, July 28, 2026

A Seminary Co-op tour

From the University of Chicago, a clip in which Jack Cella offers a brief tour of the old Seminary Co-op Bookstore. The new (since 2012) location is bright, airy, and still home to books a reader is unlikely to find in any other bookstore. But the old Co-op: wow. Just wow. Watch and see.

Elaine and I have been Sem Co-op members since 1988, when, as newish parents, we spent a summer in Chicago for an NEH seminar. I’ve always called the bookstore the Sem Co-op.

Related reading
Best wishes to Jack Cella : Two great bookstores

[The seminar? “Verbal and Visual Representation.” Not “Toddlers.” I was the participant.]

2 comments:

  1. Another Sem Coop member here. I loved the old location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad it’s there to see in this short film.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.