Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by David P. Williams, is sometimes “Crystal clear” (21-D, five letters), and sometimes “Perversely not no-raid” (3-D, six letters). Huh? Wut? It’s a mix of the straightforward, the legitimately tricky, and, for me, the trying too hard to be clever.
Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:
5-D, four letters, “Engagement with a ring.” I thought BOUT. The answer fits, to my surprise, as a noun.
18-A, six letters, “Cubed salad ingredient.” Some people cube them?
23-A, four letters, “Chinese cabbage.” NAPA! NAPA!
40-A, eight letters, “Patio fixtures.” When did I last hear someone call them that? Never.
41-D, seven letters, “Writer’s bloc.” Trying too hard to be clever.
43-A, five letters, “What Poe’s ‘eccentric fools’ do.” I’m not sure that anyone should be expected to know. I think what we have here is an answer in search of a clue, with the constructor finding a citation to go with a word. My first thought was WRITE.
45-D, six letters, “Foundation for martial arts training.” Nice.
49-D, six letters, “Place for circle shows.” Never heard of them.
65-A, eight letters, “Hang on.” My first thought was MALINGER. But I prefer the puzzle’s answer.
My favorite in this puzzle: 37-D, eight letters, “Pollack as an imitator.” Weird and wonderful.
No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.
Saturday, July 25, 2026
Today’s Saturday Stumper
By
Michael Leddy
at
9:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

LUCID. INROAD. SPAR. POTATO.
ReplyDeleteYUAN. PARASOLS. SCRIBES. PRATE.
TATAMI. STREET. (<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_performance#:~:text=and%20stoplight%20performances.-,%22Circle%20shows%22,-are%20shows%20that”>An explanation</a>.)
SITTIGHT. CRABMEAT.
LUCID. INROAD. SPAR. POTATO.
ReplyDeleteYUAN. PARASOLS. SCRIBES. PRATE.
TATAMI. STREET. (An explanation.)
For some reason Blogger turned the straight quotation mark after the URL into a smart quotation mark. Not smart.
ReplyDelete