Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Jeopardy and Neuriva

It’s dispiriting to see a spokesperson for a dubious brain supplement chosen as one of the new hosts of Jeopardy. I speak of Mayim Bialik, actor, “actual neuroscientist,” and television spokesperson for the supplement Neuriva Plus. You can read about Neuriva and Neuriva Plus here, here, and here.

I think of Neuriva as the new Prevagen. But it’s difficult to think of Mayim Bialik as the new Alex Trebek.

[The other new host: Mike Richards, executive producer of Jeopardy. The identifying phrase “actual neuroscientist” comes from the Neuriva commercial. It’s not clear that Bialik has ever worked as a neuroscientist.]

comments: 4

Daughter Number Three said...

I hadn't heard of Neuriva in any context until one day on NPR it was listed as a sponsor. Just the name and tagline make it obvious it's snake oil. It's practically 19th century.

I didn't know Bialik was an endorser since I pay no attention to her, but with her vaccine hesitancy (the most polite term for it) that sinks her even further in my estimation.

And this Richards guy... some history he has, it sounds like. And even without that, who thinks it's a good idea to make yourself host of a show you produce? Wish fulfillment at the audience's expense. This century is out of its mind.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m dismayed that NPR lends them legitimacy.. If you watch enough CNN or MSNBC, you’ll see the Bialik commercial, unless it runs only in certain markets.

That Parker appears to be a real piece of work. My daughter suspects that the fix was in, and that celebrity hosts were brought out only to build buzz. But why bring in non-contenders who are far more popular than your pick? Our fambly wanted LeVar Burton.

Daughter Number Three said...

As you know, I watch my share of MSNBC, but the Tivo means I see very few ads. Ahhh...

Michael Leddy said...

I have to admit, I watch only in real time (except for Roku stuff). George Foreman, Mayim, and Joe Namath will all be unhappy with you. : )