Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Exams in the mail in the news

A professor of business law is suing her university after administrators changed the grade she gave a student.

A practical suggestion to that professor: If you’re going to ask students to mail in their final examinations, set a date by which exams must be postmarked, not a date by which they must be received. You might save yourself a great deal of trouble.

That this professor used nothing more than a final examination to determine course grades reminds me that people approach the work of teaching in many ways.

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Even the IRS uses postmark dates!

When teaching I had a paper that was part of the final grade. I ended up having to define the physical parameters of the paper: font size, spacing, and margins as well as page length. I had to go to margin size after someone turned in 2 inch margins on each side to get the required number of pages!

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

I remember once having an “honors” student explain how he tweaked spacing to make papers long enough. He also once tried to buy time by sending me an essay in the form of one of those bogus unopenable files you used to be able to download (and maybe still can). I also recall students, indignant, explaining to me that you couldn’t change the Microsoft Word default 1.25-inch margins. Good times. : )