Thursday, March 5, 2020

Some Beach Boys history

“Warring” is a bit exaggerated, but this account seems largely accurate: “How the Beach Boys became two separate, warring factions” (Fortune).

comments: 2

J D Lowe said...

I was at the mall yesterday and decided to swing by Sunrise Records to see what was new. As I entered I was greeted by Help Me Rhonda playing on the store's sound system, followed by Be True to Your School. Definitely anachronistic hearing those, but not unpleasant. I didn't know about the two versions of the Beach Boys. I can't imagine a Beach Boys sound without Brian Wilson.

Michael Leddy said...

There isn’t one, really. Listening to the instrumental-only and vocals-only tracks for Pet Sounds is a good way to appreciate how much is going on in his musical thinking.