Sunday, March 1, 2020

Chris Matthews and women

In the aftermath of Chris Matthews’s absurd interview of Elizabeth Warren, Laura Bassett, journalist, writes about her encounter with Matthews: “Like Warren, I Had My Own Sexist Run-In with Chris Matthews” (GQ ).

What I didn’t know: Matthews has a well-documented history of speaking to and about women in demeaning, sexist ways. Says Bassett, “The number of on-air incidents is long, exhausting, and creepy.” The link in that quotation is Bassett’s, and it goes to a 2018 Twitter thread with many examples. There’s also an off-the-air remark caught on tape: “Where’s that Bill Cosby pill I brought with me?”

Why is this guy still working at MSNBC?

Says Elaine, “We need Murphy Brown to whip the shit out of these people.”

*

2:16 p.m.: Matthews was missing from yesterday’s MSNBC coverage of the South Carolina primary. Hmm.

*

March 2: As readers just let me know in the comments, tonight was Chris Matthews’s last appearance on MSNBC’s Hardball. His farewell makes clear that his remarks to and about women play a role (the leading role, no doubt) in his departure.

comments: 7

Elaine said...

You called it! He openedwith his 'retirement.'

Geo-B said...

He gone.

Michael Leddy said...

Holy cow! After I stopped watching! Now I’ll have to look at the website. Thanks, Elaine and George.

Elaine said...

A comment re. Matthews I saw somewhere: "They actually made the decision to fire him 2 years ago, but he kept interrupting and it wasn’t until today that they were finally able to finish their sentence."

Michael Leddy said...

That sounds about right. :)

Geo-B said...

I appreciate his apology: "A lot of it has to do with how we talk to each other. Compliments on a woman's appearance that some men, including me, might have once incorrectly thought were OK, were never OK – not then and certainly not today. And for making such comments in the past, I'm sorry." I hate taking-no-responsibility-apologies: I'm sorry if people might have taken my words wrong.

Michael Leddy said...

He said the right thing, yes. I think the Warren inquisition followed by the GQ piece must be have last straws for the MSNBC execs. Maybe for Matthews ’s fellow hosts too.