Thursday, March 26, 2020

A National Emergency Library

The Internet Archive has suspended waitlists for all books in its collection to create a National Emergency Library.

The duration of the NEL is tied to the duration of the pandemic in the United States, but the books are available to readers everywhere.

comments: 10

Frex said...

Thanks, I shared this on my workplace's Facebook page.
--Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

I was gonna write “Pass it on” in the post, but you already did.

Slywy said...

I signed up and tried to download a book but no joy. Maybe an overwhelmed system. And it's not like I'm short of them. For some reason, I had a sudden hankering to read My Wicked, Wicked Ways, which is buried in a box here somewhere.

Michael Leddy said...

Yeah, they might be overwhelmed. I haven’t tried myself, though I did get a Jane Eyre (for keeps) so that Elaine and I have the same pagination when we read it who-knows-when.

Fresca said...

Jane Eyre!
Hey--that's a perfect book for plague times---she suffers through an epidemic of---is it typhoid? at her school and loses her best friend to it.
Have you seen (can you compile?) a books about people living through plague times?
Besides the obvious ("The Plague")
I can think of
"Doomsday Book", by Connie Willis--sci-fi-Lite about a woman in the future who time travels (accidentally) to 1348 England.


Oh---I just stopped and googled (not really as fun...) and here's a New Yorker article--you've probably seen it:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/03/30/what-our-contagion-fables-are-really-about

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, at the beginning. Elaine and I figured that if we’re going to read Wide Sargasso Sea, we’d better go back to Jane Eyre.

I would think first of The Plague, but I have to admit, I don’t want to revisit it now. But we are reading Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet, which seems to be a good fit.

Slywy said...

I appreciated Wide Sargasso Sea.

Possibly weird thing: When I was much younger I'd never heard of the Sargasso Sea (to my conscious knowledge), then had a very powerful dream about the "cold Saragasso Sea."

Michael Leddy said...

That wouId be some exceptionally precognitive dreaming. :)

Elaine said...

Tuberculosis affected the Bronte sisters, and even into the early 1900's was a highly contagious plague. My father's eldest brother died of it at age 18.

Michael Leddy said...

One of my great-grandfathers, twenty-seven, in 1896.