Saturday, June 1, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Lester Ruff, was, at least for me, exceptionally challenging. I started with 58-D, four letters, “‘____’ at 95 (1988 art book).” I figured that the answer had to be the name of That Guy, the one with the vowel- and consonant-friendly name who appears in crosswords again and again. That answer let me take a correct guess at 67-A, nine letters, “Don’t worry.” And then answer after answer.

But the northwest corner: that took about as long as the rest of the puzzle. Among the sticking points, 2-D, five letters, “Source of ‘galore.’” And 3-D, “Austin Powers’ pop.” (Really?) But I finally caught on to 15-A, ten letters, “Navigational hobbyist,” and everything else fell into place.

Clues that I thought were just aces: 7-D, five letters, “Architectural inclination.” 35-D, nine letters, “Retro restaurants.” 57-A, six letters, “Out of the blue.” 64-A, five letters, “They’re underfoot at home.” And from the northwest corner, the fiendish 23-A, five letters, “Capital, since 1974.”

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

ERTE. (Erté, really.) SLEEPEASY. IRISH. NIGEL. ORIENTEER. BEVEL. MALTSHOPS. ASHORE. TILES. NHLER.

shallnot said...

I have a hypothesis that every cat has the middle-name “UNDERFOOT”.

If I ever decide to get a cat I think I’ll name her: Fuzz-face Underfoot Quat. Just so I could call out “come quat!”.

Steven

Michael Leddy said...

Ha! I like the TILES clue not only because my dad was a tile man but also because the answers that might first come to mind (or at least to my mind) are all four-letter ones: CATS, DOGS, RUGS, TOTS.