Thursday, February 25, 2016

Wonders of Netflix

I pay only occasional attention to our Netflix queue, which leads to surprises, both pleasant and un-. In today’s mail, Ball of Fire (dir. Howard Hawks, 1941). The Netflix description:

Gary Cooper plays a serious but lovable English professor working with his colleagues on a dictionary of American slang. When a red-hot nightclub singer on the run from the mob takes refuge in their house, she also finds a place in their hearts.
Barbara Stanwyck plays the singer. And S. Z. Sakall plays one of Cooper’s colleagues. For a couple of hours tonight, all will be well. O wonders of Netflix!

comments: 7

The Crow said...

I love that movie, and the remake - though I don't remember who starred in the re-make.

Michael Leddy said...

With Danny Kaye! I hope Elaine doesn’t find out. :)

The Crow said...

Yes, that's it. I saw the remake first, then a few years later watched the Cooper-Stanwyck original, which I prefer to the mucical, though I liked both.

Besides, I had(have) a crush on Gary Cooper.

Michael Leddy said...

I can understand that. His handsome looks and diffident manner (in at least some roles) are a striking combination.

Fresca said...

You've watched it now?
I think it has one of the sexiest scenes in a movie--
when Stanwyck is caressing Fonda's ear!

Fresca said...

WHOOPS! Oh, no, that scene--it's in The Lady Eve.
Though I think it would work wonders on Cooper too...

Michael Leddy said...

I think that’d work on anyone. I haven’t seen The Lady Eve in a long time. We watched some of Ball of Fire last night — we started too late to watch the whole thing.