Monday, December 28, 2015

Aisle 16

As seen in a Staples store earlier this evening. Should I have told someone? I deferred to Elaine and Rachel and kept my mouth shut. Maybe the store managers already know. Maybe the sign came back wrong and they’re waiting to replace it. Maybe for now they’re hoping no one says anything. The other signs for Aisle 16 were spelled correctly: stationery .

Have you seen this misspelling at your Staples?

Related reading
All OCA misspelling and signage posts (Pinboard)

comments: 12

Sparky said...

After must searching I can't find the photo, I imagine it's on an old cell phone somewhere. In a Ocean State Job Lot store in Canton CT the sign read "Like Seen on TV"

Michael Leddy said...

That’s great! Whoever was responsible must not have been fazed by the familiar “As seen on.”

Pete said...

Are you sure that aisle had letter-writing paper and envelopes? Maybe the aisle was devoted to items that remained very, very still.

Michael Leddy said...

I wondered about that, but the binders were flying off the shelves. :)

The Crow said...

When I was a kid, I taught myself these sentences to help me remember how to spell the two words: All traffic was stationary; nary a thing moved. The stationer's shelves were crowded with fine stationery from France and pens from England.

Don't know why it took so many words to help me spell just two, but it worked. Still does.

The Crow said...

...and: They're putting their things over there.

I was a weird kid, wired differently than most.

Michael Leddy said...

I remember “familiar,” “liar,” though I’m not sure “familiar” was a real difficulty. And “principal,” “pal.” “Stationary,” “nary”: that’s pretty elegant.

The Crow said...

I hate it when a pun bombs, don't you? :]

Happy New Year, Michael, to you and your wonderful family.

Michael Leddy said...

What did I miss? I thought I caught all the word pairs. A little help?

Michael Leddy said...

Aha — I missed “pens” and “England.” It’s late, but I hope I can still get partial credit.

And either way, Happy New Year, Martha, to you and yours.

The Crow said...

weird...wired :)

Michael Leddy said...

I caught that one, just didn’t mention it. Honest. :)