Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

[Photograph by James Leddy. Click for a larger, more sentimental view.]

My mom Louise, me, and some dumb bunny, photographed by my dad at my grandparents’ house in Brooklyn, New York, probably in 1958. This photograph captures a fairly formal version of the city activity known as sitting on the stoop.

One thing I never had to worry about in childhood: perishing from exposure to the elements. Freedom from such worry was, I believe, common among children of the time and place. Our parents were watching out for us. “Warmly dressed” doesn’t begin to capture it.

Happy Mother’s Day to all.

comments: 6

Elaine said...

That's totally darling.

What's not so darling is realizing you were this cute little muffin in 1958. My dad was in Korea, we--the rest of the family--were in Arkansas, and by midsummer we were all in Hawaii, and I was entering 6th grade.

Not that there's anything Wrong with being Younger Than Elaine. Sniff.

Michael Leddy said...

Or older than many others. :)

The Subliminal Mr Dunn said...

Close analysis of the photo reveals you to be appreciably younger than me...

Michael Leddy said...

And more warmly dressed, I bet. :)

Sean said...

Michael Leddy: Famous Energizer Bunny User. :)

Michael Leddy said...

Sean, I get your point.