Saturday, June 20, 2020

Today’s Saturday Stumper

[There’s a slight spoiler in what follows.]

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper is by Brad Wilber. It’s a good one, with many out of the way answers. Should out of the way be hyphenated? Do I need to look that up now? Let me revise: It’s a good one, with many unusual answers. And it uses every letter of the alphabet but V. (Which must mean something?)

I started with 1-A, eight letters, “Intricate weave.” Man, I just smashed that clue. Or rather, the answer. Smashed it to bits. That answer, even smashed, gave me 1-D, six letters, “Turnkey” and 2-D, six letters, “One end of the Erie Canal.” Folk music FTW.

Clue-and-answer pairs that I especially liked:

14-A, nine letters, “Precursor of leaving home.” Yes, that kind of home.

15-A, five letters, “‘Daytime’s Leading Lady.’” I watched her for years, crushing a bit.

19-A, six letters, “Compelling to go to court.” I learned something from this clue.

22-A, five letters, “Fund-raisers spoiled by showers.” No, that can’t be right. Oh, wait — it’s right.

37-A, seven letters, “CoverGirl makeup creator.” It feels so strange to write the name. I think this answer is an example of what crossword people mean by “crunchy.”

45-D, five letters, “Achilles, per Homer.” Huh. I’ve seen it as “fair,” “fiery,” “red-gold,” and “sandy.” In Homer’s Greek, it’s six letters: ξανθῆς. It must have been Achilles who said “If I’ve only one life . . . let me live it as a _____.”

50-A, three letters, “PR, for example.” Nice misdirection.

51-D, four letters, “It’s often found in salad bowls.” Especially mid-century modern ones, I think.

56-A, nine letters, “Fake cannon named for pacifists.” What?!

57-D, three letters, “Reader’s resource.” Not an APP.

58-A, five letters, “The Jetsons are on his autobio cover.” There’s an autobiography?!

One clue that rankled: 29-A, four letters, “He's not without egotism.” It’s one of those clues, and the answer is kinda forced.

No outright spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 6

Michael Leddy said...

JACQUARD. (The kind of loom smashed by Luddites.)

JAILER. ALBANY.

BALLTHREE.

LUCCI. (Susan, as in All My Children.)

HALING. TENKS. NOXZEMA.

BLOND!

ISL. (Puerto Rico is an island.)

TEAK. QUAKERGUN. ESP. HANNA.

EGOTISM. (Because egOTISm.)

Michael Leddy said...

For ξανθῆς (xanthēs) the Greek-English Lexicon gives “yellow, of various shades, freq. with a tinge of red,brown,auburn.”

shallnot said...

BALLTHREE:

I see homeplate as a place that you go to and not leave. The bases are left especially in a steal situation but in general you are always going somewhere in baseball.

How about this clue: “A walk’s penultimate step”?

Steven

Elaine Fine said...

The answer to 29A could also refer to one of the twin gods of the elevator: Otis and Sito (I know there's a post about it here, but I can't seem to find it).

Michael Leddy said...

@Steven: I think you’re right; the batter doesn’t really leave home plate. To make it a little more indirect, how about “A step before walking”?

@Elaine: Here is the post with the elevator gods. I just changed it with something that’s a better upside-down T.



Michael Leddy said...

I just learned that a Quaker gun has nothing to do with puffed rice. (Old slogan: “Cereal Shot From Guns.”)