Monday, June 4, 2012

Neologism contest

My friend Stefan Hagemann is seeking a word and is willing to sponsor a contest to find it. I think that’s a great idea. Here is what Stefan is seeking:

I’d like us to invent a word that describes a particular kind of foolish shortcut, the kind that, often in a foreseeable way, fails to save time and may result in irritation or the feeling that one is absurd and a dimwit. The best example might be that of trying to put on or take off pants without removing one’s shoes, but I seem to need this (nonexistent) word almost every day. When I try to add cream to a container of iced coffee by pouring it through the small opening (rather than removing the larger lid), only to spill cream everywhere, I could use that word. When I haul a Shop-Vac up a ladder because I think it will be faster to vacuum the maple seeds out of my gutters, only to clog the vacuum repeatedly so that I finally give up, I could use that word. What should that word be?
The rules for this contest are simple:

1. You must leave your word in a comment on this post. Use your name or a pseudonym (but not an e-mail address).
2. You may enter more than once.
3. Void where prohibited.

Very important: you must have read this post to be eligible to play. You have now read this post. So play!

Stefan will choose the winning word and award a suitable prize. The deadline for all entries: Monday, June 11, 11:59 p.m. Central.

comments: 18

Sean said...

"bypasstrophy"

A combination of "bypass" and "catastrophe", the latter adds to the sense of self-pity.

Sean said...

"foolskirt" as an adjective or noun.

"fool" as in foolish, "skirt" as in to skirt-around something; a shortcut; to 'fall short' on something. (Archaic: "foolsceort")

Following the imaginary etymology, it almost seems like it could be a compound noun from "fool's skirt", as in "That's a fool's skirt thing to do."

Unknown said...

mustardayomalaise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVBsCCV6NG4

stefan said...

Thanks for playing, Sean and Dudley. I can see that the competition is going to be pretty fierce.

Sean said...

A correction to my first post:

It should read: "bypasstrophe"

Daughter Number Three said...

"nosecut"

A shortcut that results in cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Elaine said...

Stupidation.

Comment would be superfluous.

Elaine said...

Tripidation.

Sean said...

"bellebête" or "belle-bête"

A combination of 'beautiful' and 'stupid'; or in other words, your heart was in the right place, it's just your brain wasn't. :)

Anonymous said...

Such failed shortcuts rapidly become shitcuts... Anonyme

Geo-B said...

thwartstep
malstride
scuttlefeat
hindertrick

Mr Saturday Pants said...

So many good choices already. (I am particularly enamored of "bypasstrophy.")

I suggest "hellstep."

Rationale: The road to tell is paved with good intentions. And to travel that road, one must take that crucial first step.

stefan said...

Wow! These are some amazing entries. Thanks, everyone, and keep it up. I don't know how I'll pick a winner, but I'm impressed and delighted by your playful and smart suggestions.

Katy said...

Econodoggle (as in economic/boondoggle)

sabrebutt said...

shitcut

Elaine Fine said...

timesloop

Daughter Number Three said...

"dyseffort"

m.gale said...

i have always just used the term "longcut"..nothing clever just to the point.