Sunday, March 6, 2022

Outtakes (5)

[Outtakes from the WPA’s New York City tax photographs, c. 1939–1941, available from 1940s NYC. Click either image for a larger view.]

These pair well. I have no good guess as to what the kid is carrying.

More outtakes to come.

Related posts
Outtakes (1) : Outtakes (2) : Outtakes (3): Outakes (4) : More photographs from the NYC Municipal Archives

comments: 5

Tororo said...

I was asking myself the same question about the pictured kid: baby-sized umbrella? Unicorn horn? Not a baguette, obviously, this is not a Robert Doisneau picture.

Michael Leddy said...

No, no baguettes there. My not-good guesses: a toy sword or a balsa-wood plane. But I don’t really see either one in the picture.

Frex said...

Looks like he's clutching just a piece of wood!

Anonymous said...

maybe a broken off slat from a wooden crate?

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, that must be it. Why did I think it had to be a manufactured toy?