Friday, March 25, 2022

First word, first syllable

We were reminsicing over breakfast this morning about WILL-TV, our local PBS outlet, which turns 100 this year. For many years, late on weeknights, the station aired Silver Screen, something of a miniature version of TCM (pre-TCM), with a top-notch movie and a host, Thomas Guback, well-versed in film, providing an intro and outro.

I asked Elaine if she remembered what movie blew our minds when we first saw it on Silver Screen. We had tuned in when the movie had already started and had no context: even more reason for it to blow our minds.

Elaine was at a loss. Inspired by our recent reading of Robertson Davies, I pressed on:

Three words, first word, three syllables, first syllable.

[I held an imaginary steering wheel.]

First word, second syllable.

[I gave an indifferent sideways shake of the head.]

That was all it took. Can you identify the movie?

A solemn vow: this will be the only time I use an OCA post to play charades.

*

No one’s guessed. The title is now in the comments.

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

The movie was Carnival of Souls (dir. Herk Harvey, 1962). Highly recommended.

Joe DiBiase said...

Thanks for the answer ... it was driving me crazy. I was coming up blank.

Joe DiBiase said...

And, that's quite a trailer ... https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3297624345?playlistId=tt0055830&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi

Michael Leddy said...

I hope you get a chance to see it, Joe. There’s a Criterion edition with all kinds of extras — the first DVD I ever bought. They’re now also available from the Criterion Channel.