Thursday, June 24, 2021

“America’s flavourite candy”

[Life, January 17, 1949. Click for a larger view.]

Butterscotch and nutmeats? You had me at “bones.”

Here is older evidence of this now-gone candy. An unrelated candy, Ganong Chicken Bones (cinnamon and chocolate), is still manufactured. Another treat: Chick-o-Sticks (peanut butter and coconut), also once known as Chicken Bones.

*

There are also turkey joints. Thanks, librarian!

comments: 3

Chris said...

When I clicked through I really expected this to be early work from one of the creators of Mad magazine.

shallnot said...

Odd, in my childhood memories of Ganong's "Chicken Bones" they were not so luridly pink nor were they excessively 'cinnamony'.

Michael Leddy said...

Chris, as soon as you mentioned Mad, I remembered Wacky Packs.

I wasn’t going to say anything, shallnot, but the Ganong candy looks to me like Pepto-Bismol chews. The dark bark is more appealing.