Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Camp COVID

From CNN:

More than 80 teens and adult staffers from a Central Illinois summer camp tested positive for Covid-19 in an outbreak that has impacted people across three states, officials said.

The Crossing Camp in Schuyler County held in mid-June did not check vaccination status for campers or staffers, and masks were not required indoors at the camp, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a news release. . . .

All campers and staff were eligible for vaccination, although “IDPH is aware of only a handful of campers and staff receiving the vaccine,” the department said Monday.
The camp is a Christian enterprise, with a website promising “Best Summer of Your Life.” The link to a Medical Release Form from the site’s dropdown menu for Summer Camps goes nowhere. A page detailing What to Bring does not mention masks.

The camp session that suffered the outbreak: Student Camp 2021, for eight-graders through graduating seniors — all old enough to have been vaccinated.

*

August 31: Now the count is “180 confirmed and probable cases” (Chicago Tribune).

[The Wayback Machine’s archive of the site also shows a Medical Release Form link that goes nowhere.]

comments: 6

Anonymous said...

How ironic to say the "best summer of your life." Oh, it's the best summer alright--you may have health complications all the rest of your life.

I saw today that the WHO is still recommending masks even if fully vaccinated.

I carry a mask everywhere now and wear it despite being fully vaccinated. Although with the signs of "wear one if NOT vaccinated" at stores, I'm betting people think I'm not. But when I see employees still wearing one, I continue do so to support them.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Any indoor public setting, I’m masked. Here I’d guess that a majority of retail workers are no longer wearing masks, which is even more of a reason to wear one.

The politicization (or theocratization?) of masks/no masks will go down as one of the great catastrophes of our culture.

Zhoen said...

Staying masked indoors in public for the rest of my life. I've loved not getting so much as a cold this past year and a half. And I do not want to get one of the variants that will certainly show up here.

I don't want to seem heartless, but in a way, I have to just see it as nature making it's selections. It's all too big to take into my heart. Those who don't believe in the danger do not protect themselves when the danger believes in them.

Michael Leddy said...

“The danger believes in them”: that’s really well said.

I too haven’t had a cold since November 2019 (I almost said “last November,” as 2020 feels like a gap in time).

Zhoen said...

We both had what we are pretty sure was covid in December of 2019, and we have antibodies from a study to support that supposition, and the loss of taste and smell that I still deal with. No test then, no acknowledgement that it was already here at that point.

Michael Leddy said...

Wow. I’ve heard similar accounts from other people. Thank goodness you both made it through.