Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Toward or towards

From Bryan Garner’s LawProse blog: is it toward or towards? Short answer: in American English, toward. In British English, towards.

comments: 2

The Arthurian said...

An untoward response:

My father always spoke of length, width, and heighth. Note that last one. I don't think I ever heard that anywhere, except from Dad.

He died in his mid-90s, a few years back.

Just the other day at work, on break, my friend Mike used the word heighth, just in conversation. That's the way he learned it, I guess. Or learnt it.

Reminded me of Dad.

Thanks for listening.

Michael Leddy said...

I know I’ve heard “heighth.” I might have even spelled it that way as a kid. Or maybe one of my children said it. It’s in the air, for sure.

Your comment made me remember my grandparents’ “earl.” As in “olive earl.” I’d like to hear that again.