Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Nancy Malone in Life magazine

To my knowledge, she made three appearances.


[Life, November 25, 1946. Eleven-year-old Nancy Malone on the cover of Life ’s tenth-anniversary issue. She is identified on page 3 of the magazine as “Nancy Maloney of Long Island,” “one of the most successful younger Powers models.”]




[“Hokum and More Hokum,” Life, December 22, 1952. Ronald Alexander’s comedy Time Out for Ginger ran for 248 performances on Broadway. Notice that Nancy Malone’s character, a high-schooler who wants to try out for the football team, makes the cover of Life.]


[“Stubborn sinner Bill Walker (Eli Wallach) wallops a Salvation Army lass (Nancy Malone) to show his contempt while meek down-and-outers watch.” “Handsome Soapbox for Shaw,”Life, December 10, 1956. The scene is from a Broadway production of George Bernard Shaw’s Major Barbara.]

*

May 16: A correction: when I made this post, I wrote that Malone was not identified by name in the November 25, 1946 issue of Life. I came to that mistaken conclusion by reading the issue’s photo credits. But a description of the cover on page 3 of this issue identifies Malone (then Maloney) by name. The New York Times may have borrowed my mistake. I’ve made a correction above.

Related reading
A letter from Nancy Malone
Nancy Malone (1935–2014)

comments: 2

Geo-B said...

Gosh, I hope she had a great life, because she seems to have done a bunch of great things and fun things. I'm sure your letter added to this. After a recent promotion I wrote to a handful of my former teachers to thank them, even from undergraduate days, more than 40 years ago and they seemed happy to hear from me. My father-in-law was admiring a painting I have hanging in my kitchen and asked where I got it. I said I bought it on ebay and he said, well, this guy certainly know what he's doing. I wrote him and said, I don't know what it might mean to you, but my father-in-law thinks I have good taste. The painter wrote back that it made him smile. Letting people know they're still remembered and appreciated adds light to our world.

Michael Leddy said...

And how. One of the happiest choices I ever made was to write a letter to the author of my favorite book from childhood. I had to say thank you, even many years after the fact.