Friday, January 3, 2014

A Times Square record store


[Click for a larger sale.]

A Times Square record store, as seen in the opening montage of the Naked City episode “Turn of Events,” May 12, 1959. Colony Records? King Karol? Dunno.

Elaine and I continue to make our way through Naked City, pausing and “rewinding” at will. Great stories, great cinematography (Jack Priestly), great acting. Is that so-and-so? Yes, it is!

Related reading
All Naked City posts (Pinboard)
New York, 1964: record stores

comments: 3

Adair said...

My guess is Colony---same kind of neon sign. Colony also appears at the end of that great Cassavetes film, Shadows.

My sad story about Colony: decades ago I was thrilled to find a 10 inch Charlie Parker Savoy record in their stacks. I shouted to my soon-to-be-wife: "Look what I found! Look what I found!" And when I pulled the record delicately out of the sleeve---my heart beating like mad---it was cracked and fell into little pieces. So did my heart!

Michael Leddy said...

What a find, and what a loss.

I’ll have to add that film to my queue — and not just for the record store.

fiscus1 said...

I don't think that it's Colony. They discounted anything.