Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New York, 1964: record stores



From Harold H. Hart’s Hart’s Guide to New York City (New York: Hart Publishing, 1964). Illustration by Ruby Davidson.

I know: Amazon. But consider a world in which record stores were open until midnight. The Colony Record & Radio Center, also listed in Hart’s Guide, stayed open until 4:00 a.m., every day, or night.

A related post
Record stores (memories of a misspent youth)

Also from Hart’s Guide
Chock full o’Nuts
Greenwich Village and coffee house
Mayflower Coffee Shop(pe)
Minetta Tavern, Monkey Bar
Schrafft’s

comments: 2

Gunther said...

Although our record stores closed at 8 pm at the latest I definitely miss them. There were more than 40 in a radius of 25 km around my hometown, including many second-hand stores. I loved to dig in the crates, to discover, to chat with the owner and other customers, and I was pleased by the service many shops have offered. Only very few are left, and their ranges are not the same. I have been a vinyl junkie, and if I wasn't at the office right now I'd put an old scratchy record and crank up the volume.

Michael Leddy said...

Gunther, I share your love of the hunt.

Thanks for the news about the Lamy pencils. I hope they’ll be available in the United States.