Thursday, September 1, 2011

The new Blogger interface

[Click for a larger view.]

The new Blogger interface makes me feel uneasy about writing a short post. But I’m writing one anyway. From The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web:
Anything from 45 to 75 characters is widely regarded as a satisfactory length of line for a single-column page set in a serifed text face in a text size. The 66-character line (counting both letters and spaces) is widely regarded as ideal. For multiple column work, a better average is 40 to 50 characters.
The line in Blogger’s new text-box is much too long for comfortable composing and editing. I do like the orange though.

Related reading
Blogger’s fresh new look (The Official Google Blog)

comments: 2

Daughter Number Three said...

I just made the switch to the new world order and wow... it's fighting me all the way. Mostly it's okay, but the images behave in a completely different way.

Have you had problems with that? It's as if they assume you will only put in images with centered captions. And it doesn't seem to provide anything for alt tags anymore.

It made me really crabby.

Michael Leddy said...

I noticed (predating the new interface) that Blogger has changed the way it handles images. So when I add an image, I delete “text-align: center” and “margin-left: 1em” to remove centering and make an image align with the left margin.

I just looked up alt-tags, with which I’m unfamiliar. Do titles do the same sort of work? I always describe images in case someone has a visual impairment. I’ve never thought about search engines and images.