Monday, September 19, 2011

Netflix messes up

I was surprised to see an e-mail from Reed Hastings (“Co-Founder and CEO of Netflix”) in one of my inboxes today. For a split-second I thought that Mr. Hastings was about to apologize for calling DVDs-by-mail “Old Fogey discs.” But no. His e-mail announces that Netflix’s DVDs-by-mail service is now known as Qwikster. And he isn’t apologizing for that either.

I suspect that our household will eventually shift to streaming. But we like making lists of films to watch, and we like getting DVDs. (As Elaine points out, they add interest to the mail.) And not everything at Netflix is available on-demand. For now, we are sticking with Qwikster. [Insert grimace here.]

comments: 1

Elaine said...

I got that e-mail, too! Backing and filling; too little, too late; and excuses, excuses--all came to mind. I felt like Netflix had just gotten greedy and switched to streaming only for now. Most of the time I am using this only while trudging along on the treadmill, so...

I just hate being manipulated and fleeced!