Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Still life in red and green


[Sólo con tu pareja (dir. Alfonso Cuarón, 1991). Click for a larger view.]

The red pen must be a Parker T-Ball Jotter. The pencil with the red stripe: almost certainly a Berol Mirado. Placing the thermometer with the writing instruments is a beautiful touch.

Here and everywhere, Emmanuel Lubezki’s cinematography adds an element of deep thoughtfulness to what seems at first glance to be a light sex comedy.

comments: 3

Frex said...

That's beautiful! I'd like to see a series of pencil/pen cups.
What do people keep in theirs?
I think I'll post mine today.

Say, I've been meaning to ask where your current header quote is from,
“Just scribble it all out and add a label”.

It makes me laugh. Some days that's exactly how I blog.

Michael Leddy said...

The Bleistift blog has a number of Pencil Pot of the Month posts.

I think I’ll make a pencil/pen cups post. It will be embarrassing. There are nine jam jars and Twinings tins next to my desk. (God help me.)

The “Just scribble” comes from the new Nancy, a strip with advice about drawing. I right away saw its relevance to writing. :)

Fresca said...

I was bashful and didn't post ALL my pencil pots! :)
You win with nine though, though if I could boxes of art supplies, including color pencils & markers, I'm probably close.

Thanks for the link--fun, but those Pencil Pots are awfully tidy...

Oh, yes, I'd seen that Nancy but couldn't place the quote, out of context--it's so fun--thanks!