Saturday, March 23, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, has a split personality. The top half was as easy as the first word of the clue for 62-Across, “Pie recipe verb.” But the puzzle’s bottom half threatened, in the words of the clue for 31-Across, to “Outwit, perhaps.” But I could finally say, in the words of the clue for 23-Down, “The fog has lifted.” Although I did not follow up with a 54-Across, “Revelation exclamation.” Elaine was still asleep.

My favorite clues: 36-Across, thirteen letters, “Hugo winner,” which broke open the bottom half of the puzzle. 24-Down, seven letters, “Request for a raise.” 27-Down, seven letters, “Price skipping.” And 32-Down, six letters, “Not a major case.”

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

PARE. EVADE. AHISEE. OHO. LESMISERABLES. (Hugo winner, but not a Hugo Award for science fiction.) LETMEUP. SETBAIL. VALISE.

shallnot said...

“Request for a raise”: LIFTMEUP? GIVEMEABOOST?

LETMEUP sounds more like a return to a status quo.

Michael Leddy said...

I thought first of LEMMEUP, like a kid pinned on the pavement. I think you’re right: the clue and answer aren’t a perfect fit. I liked the misdirection, but I wasn’t scrutinizing enough.