Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I dream of Inara George and Van Dyke Parks

We were in a library. Inara George was waiting in line for the water fountain. "You're Inara George!" I said. "I really like your voice!" She thanked me. Van Dyke Parks was sitting at a table working on an arrangement, writing chord symbols on unlined paper. I noticed Cm7 and Gm7. "Is it hard to do that without a piano?" I asked. "I have one," he said, and produced a cardboard keyboard. We shook hands, and I left the library.

I should've asked where they were playing. The answer: Largo at the Coronet, Los Angeles, September 13, 8:30 p.m.

Related posts
I dream of Citizen Kane
I dream of Mingus
John Ashbery and Fred Astaire on The Mike Douglas Show
Proust was the next president
Review: Inara George and Van Dyke Parks

comments: 0