Monday, June 11, 2007

I dream of Citizen Kane

Charles Foster Kane is lying in bed, as at the film's start. Susan Alexander Kane is sitting by the bed.

"Bird," Kane says. "Bird!"

"All ya wanniz a bird?" Mrs. Kane asks.

"Bird," Kane says. He coughs, coughs again, and dies.

And that was my dream, inspired I suppose by the screeching cockatoo that appears much later in the film.

Related posts
I dream of Mingus
John Ashbery and Fred Astaire on the Mike Douglas Show
Welles' left hand (On a scene from Citizen Kane)

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

I really hate that cockatoo -- what a horrible editorial decision. (Or maybe it was a mistake, but I can't imagine how that mistake was made.)

Michael Leddy said...

It's startling -- that's for sure, as I find when I show the film to students who've never seen it.