Saturday, October 3, 2026

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Joel Fagliano of NYT Games. It’s the first time I’ve seen his name on a Stumper, and it’s a terrific one — tricky, amusing, with enough toeholds to get started and keep going. For instance, 29-A, four letters, “‘He was       , take him for all in all’: Hamlet.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-D, nine letters, “Tangentially.” I’m given to tangentiality.

2-D, nine letters, “What children make a stand for.” I was a little uncertain about filling in what seemed like the obvious answer. How could it be nine letters?

6-D, eight letters, “Leaves home.” Lovely.

12-D, five letters, “Friday the 3rd?” Groan.

20-D, eight letters, “Deal with your in-box.” See 2-D: how could the answer be eight letters? Perhaps (to my mind) the extra letters are to make the puzzle a bit trickier.

23-A, ten letters, “Short-term lab job.” Cute.

27-A, six letters, “Subject to slamming.” NOGOOD? A nice bit of trickery.

36-A, four letters, “Soul’s foregoer.” I tried to think of other Kia models.

39-A, five letters, “Edges of some calendar line lists.” I think I get it.

46-A, ten letters, “City near Manhattan not related to a sand bag brand.” I love it.

46-D, five letters, “Half a bubble gum brand.” Remarkable the way such stuff just sticks in my head.

57-A, six letters, “Loud buzzer.” I have lived it.

49-D, five letters, “Informal term of endearment.” I use this word often and typed it just yesterday.

My favorite in this puzzle: 61-A, six letters, “Layers of floors.” Just because.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. AMAN. ASANASIDE.

    LEMONADES. (LEMONADE would be more idiomatic here.)

    SALADBAR. LONGI. DOEMAILS. (DOEMAIL would be more idiomatic here.)

    DOGSITTING. BERATE. RANDB.

    ESSES. (The esses of SMTWTFS, I guess.)

    HACKENSACK. (And it’s the name of a Thelonious Monk tune.

    HUBBA. CICADA. KIDDO.

    TILERS. (As in <a href="https://mleddy.blogspot.com/2014/04/jim-leddy-at-american-olean-tile.html”>Leddy Ceramic Tile</a>.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Blogger changed one straight quotation mark into a smart one, and once again I missed it:

    TILERS. (As in Leddy Ceramic Tile.)

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.