Thursday, August 10, 2023

From Artie to Zippy

[“Pucker Up.” Zippy, August 10, 2023.]

Today’s Zippy needs annotating. The artichoke has cried out: “Help! I’m an an advertising mascot trapped inside an artichoke!” But it’s more complicated than that. Artie the Artichoke is the mascot for Scottsdale Community College. There’s also Arti the Artichoke, who represents Ocean Mist Farms, growers of, yes, artichokes.

When Zippy mentions Speedy Alka-Seltzer’s “skill” (it’s “Plop, plop, fizz, fizz”) and asks Artie about his special ability, Artie replies, “I can thistle!” Artichoke thistle is an invasive species found in California.

Related reading
Alkalize with Alka-Seltzer : All OCA Zippy posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

ksh said...

Artie Choke is also a character on The Firesign Theatre album "I Think We're All BozisOn This Bus".

Michael Leddy said...

I didn’t know about that one. I wonder if he knows the other Arties.