Thursday, August 3, 2023

A Steven Millhauser interview

It’s from NPR. When Sacha Pfeiffer says that several of Millhauser’s stories make her feel “slightly unsettled, a little viscerally uneasy,” he replies: “If you have to go to your medicine cabinet, I would feel guilty. And I will pay for that medication.” And he adds:

“But unsettled in a way that is not just irritation is fine with me. A story that just makes you feel soothed and satisfied, you might as well watch a rom-com on TV. But if a story makes you question certain things that you’ve taken for granted, I think that’s ideal. It shows you that the world is not necessarily more disturbing, but more complex than you had assumed. And that, I would argue, is a good thing.”
Related reading
All OCA Steven Millhauser posts (Pinboard)

comments: 0