Thursday, July 23, 2020

“I am someone’s daughter too”



Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) responds to Representative Ted Yoho (R-FL), who called her, on the steps of the United States Capitol, a “fucking bitch.”

I think of the many times I heard students leaving a college classroom speak of one instructor or another as a “fucking bitch.” “Don’t use language like that about your instructor,” I would say, whenever I had the chance. I wish now I had taken the chance to say more.

comments: 2

Zhoen said...

I'd been sorta avoiding this, thank you for putting it where I had to watch it. So honest, so eloquent, so powerful. Every word a nail in the coffins of misogynists.

The words we use, even inside our own heads, affect us more than those we refer to. Best to keep them fair and kind.

Michael Leddy said...

I feel hopeful when casual, flippant misogyny gets called out. Some stuff deserves cancellation. :)