Friday, July 3, 2020

Domestic comedy

“It looks absurd — it’s like a Love Boat toupee!”

Related reading
All OCA domestic comedy posts (Pinboard)

comments: 7

Pete said...

I can only assume this is a subtle jab at Bernie Koppell. Hats off (literally) to Gavin McLeod for forever remaining bald and bold.

Michael Leddy said...

I was thinking of the dashing-older-man guest stars. I had seen one in passing and tried to identify him from a cast list in the IMDb. No luck, but what a toupee.

I’ll have to look more carefully at Bernie Koppell’s head. Which, I guess, means watching The Love Boat. :)

Slywy said...

The wigs in Star Trek are awful. Not the ones to cover thinning hair, but the ones to look like different hair. Bonanza is up there, especially the blue hair wigs on younger men but some of the women’s wigs too.

Slywy said...

Re: Bernie Koppell:
Who was your favorite female co-star on “Love Boat?”

My favorite, favorite actress, that I had such a crush on was Juliet Prowse. Legs. Sweetness. Soft lips. We had a scene in bed. “Oh My god!” I’m thinking, “I hope my hairpiece doesn’t fall off, and that I can remember what I have to say!”

Michael Leddy said...

Bernie Kopell and Juliet Prowse: my mind boggles.

An image search makes me think BK’s toupees have improved. But at the same time, he’s turned into Mitch McConnell. Again, my mind boggles.

Our fancy TVs reveal every imperfection in the fake hair of yore, don’t they?

Slywy said...


Awww, that's too bad. I had a one-time crush on BK.

I don't think it's the fancy TV — I noticed it even when we had to turn our TV antenna. On some Trek episodes, the overly blond or black wigs float a half inch above the scalp. :)

Michael Leddy said...

I have to admit: my only viewing of Star Trek has been in the last couple of years, an episode here and there on MeTV. So I don’t have a basis for comparison. But with, say, Perry Mason, I think the artifice is more obvious now, especially when you see the side or back of a testifying witness’s head.